This one goes out to the ones I love. This one goes out to the ones I've left behind. A simple prop to occupy my time.

|

Wednesday, March 17, 2004

Happy St. Patrick's Day!!!

It's been an interesting week for me. When Lori was visiting me we had 'Pi' Day on March 14th (ha ha.. get it... 3.14) so we went out to eat pie. And Monday was the Ides of March so I had to have a caesar although I didn't really.Instead I had a caesar salad... and today its the day of green beer and celebrating my Irish heritage... except that now I have to share it with everyone who isn't Irish. Oh well at least its all fun and games in the end.

The past week has been pretty hectic... most of last week I was trying to cram all my unfinished work in before Lori came to visit but that didn't really happen. She arrived on Saturday morning and then we spent the afternoon at Stanley Park because the weather was gorgeous and it's the stereotypical tourist attraction in Vancouver. Not having a car makes it somewhat difficult for me to show her all the places that my dad and I saw last August when we first got to Vancouver. Not to mention that at this time of year such attractions as the Capilano Suspension Bridge are closed. The other thing is that Vancouver can be expensive and I noticed that the walking everywhere was catching up to her just the way it did to me when I first moved here. Sunday we didn't do too much because I had a presentation to finish for Monday (which I did) and so we went to church in the morning, went out to lunch afterwards and had a somewhat relaxing afternoon. Well... Lori did at least anyways... she got to watch some movies on tv and the Brier Cup while I chained myself unwillingly to my computer and stack of articles and books. I felt so awful neglecting her that way but she is the one on vacation and unfortunately school is still full on for me. If she had been able to stay the entire week there would have been more of an opportunity for me to show her a wider range of Vancouver. On Monday I took her to school with me where I had hoped to show her the Museum of Anthropology but we discovered that it is closed on Mondays. So we went back to the reading room and I set her up at my carrell so she could work on some of her teaching plans while I went to class. And wouldn't you know it but there wasn't enough time to even get to my presentation that I spent all of Sunday doing. Whatever... now I have the rest of the week to brush up some of the areas which were sketchy. We went to the pub with some of the CNERS gang and then out to White Spot for dinner with Christie in tow. Gotta love the double Bellini... mmm.
Anyhow yesterday we went shopping on 4th Ave. and went to Sophie's Cosmic Cafe for lunch where we ran into her friend Erica (the only other person she knows in Western Canada and whom she had been trying to get in touch with). Erica apparently had just returned from Cuba the night before and was only in Vancouver for the afternoon before going back to Victoria. It was such a fluke occurrence but sometimes something like that can really make your day. It definitely made me smile. After lunch we took off for the airport and there is where I had to leave her so I could boot it to school in time for 3pm class. Just in case your wondering it took about an hour for me to get from the airport to school (not like it matters really).
I think it was an enjoyable four days. I really miss seeing my family and I felt somewhat empty returning home that night to not have her with me. I also think that Elaine was a bit freaked out that there was another person living here... someone on my side! HA! Sucker!

For now its back to the grindstone and more presentations... My life is one long presentation lately. All these assignments, essays and exams will take me well into April and so where will I ever find the time to find a place to live?
I am getting concerned that I might have to move somewhere where there is no furniture and then have to invest in that. Ugh... school is just getting to the point where I cannot afford it anymore. I HATE being in debt... I cannot handle it very well. I wonder how long its going to take me to break even after I am done this degree? Should I even move onto the next stage of my education with debt looming over me? Probably not, but I don't want to be in school forever... AHHH... all these thoughts are somewhat stressful and all I need to do right now is concentrate on getting through March and April alive. It's going to be one interesting month though.
Anyhow perhaps a pint of green beer will take the edge off? Until later... ~D.~

 
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com
eXTReMe Tracker Blogarama - The Blog Directory