This one goes out to the ones I love. This one goes out to the ones I've left behind. A simple prop to occupy my time.

|

Saturday, April 03, 2004

How could I forget this most important newsflash?!

I just learned last week that my next door neighbours, the Frasers have put their house up for sale right out of the blue shocking most of the neighbours on our street. The Frasers have lived on the west side of my house for almost 20 years if not that. It is shocking to think that they are leaving! I vaguely remember the day that they moved in next door because I was excited that there was a girl my age (well one year older) and a baby who was my sister's age. Over the years we never really hung out in the same circles but we were always around to know about each other's lives and I cannot imagine having new people next door. It's going to be rather awkward I think. Many 'originals' as I call them (i.e. people who lived on the street while I was growing up) have put their houses up for sale in the last few years and so technically I barely know anyone anymore except for the people who live nearest to me. It's sad to think that things change like this and people move on. I find it especially traumatic because I have moved across the country from my family and these changes seem to happen overnight. When I go home things have been re-arranged or redecorated within my own home and now the dynamic of the street is also changing almost right in my own backyard. I fear that with the Frasers leaving it's only a matter of time before other close neighbours will be the next to go or even more horrifying... my own family!
I don't know what I would do if our house went up for sale. I briefly remember our previous house in Sarnia, Ontario but I have pretty much grown up in the house that I currently live in. There are too many memories for me to be detached from it willingly. If my parents ever sold it and it was in my power to buy the house I think that I would. We are only the second family to ever live in it if you can believe it. It was built in the 1960's when lots of new development in North York was happening. My mother used to tell me when I was little that she could remember the area being built up because there wasn't much else in the area but farmland. She even once found a horseshoe in our garden while planting some flowers. It is now displayed next to our basement fireplace.
It would be pretty shocking to someone who left Toronto in the 60's to come back and see how much urban sprawl has taken place in only 40 years.
The high school that I attended (and which my mom briefly attended before switching to another school) used to be the end of the line on Bayview Avenue at Steeles in the 1960's and Mom claimed that then it was a dirt road! Today Bayview Avenue goes deep into Markham, Thornhill, and Richmond Hill. I doubt it really has much of that bay view of Lake Ontario anymore either. Thinking about changes always really gets to me. I guess I don't deal with it very well and having an interest in history can sometimes make it feel even more personal especially when my parents generation remember and can describe a different time and place for Toronto than what it is today. I know it has changed a lot since I was a child too. Sometimes I wish innocence could last forever or maybe it's just called naivete when you're an adult.
However, to get back to my original newsflash... my parents say the house has not been sold yet so there is hope that things won't be too far gone (i.e. they will have left already) before I come home for the summer. I couldn't bear to not see them in that house one last time.

 
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com
eXTReMe Tracker Blogarama - The Blog Directory