This one goes out to the ones I love. This one goes out to the ones I've left behind. A simple prop to occupy my time.

|

Friday, February 17, 2006

The Dream

When things start to change in my life, I can always depend on my dreams to let me know that things are changing or are on the brink of doing so. I dream quite vividly in colour although I don't usually see facial details quite so clearly. I always sense the identity of the people with me rather than focusing directly on their faces. I also have a set of faithful themes that are indicators of the kinds of stresses that are weighing upon me. For instance, when large transitions in my life are about to occur, I have a dream of being pregnant to the point of being in labour while sitting on a floor in a greenhouse. I'm usually alone with a garden hose and big leafy ferns all around me. As terrifying as it is, it's kind of pretty to be sitting there and I usually know that things are going to be alright in the end. It's got to be something kind of radical that is going to change for me to have this dream. It usually happens when I move away from home or finish a major undertaking like a degree.
Another dream that I have noticed more in recent years is one in which a tornado suddenly rips through my life. The situation is always different but the constants are that I am in my house in Toronto and suddenly the sky gets black and green as a storm sweeps through and then suddenly the tornado is there, close enough to be very threatening and scary but somehow it leaves me alone and my house is not damaged. In this situation I am always vigilant and hyper-aware of where the tornado is and what path it is taking. I run from window to window and door to door to check where it is and make sure that it's not coming too close. I know that I should be in the basement or somewhere safe and that I should grab a few possessions that I want to keep with me, but instead I always seem to be upstairs in my bedroom watching it decimate the school yard behind my backyard. It's like I have a protective island around me. The wind is shaking the trees but they're not snapping or falling. Last night I had one of these tornado dreams and when I woke up this morning I could hear the wind howling outside my window. I am sure that I somehow incorporated that sound into my dream, but I think something else is brewing.
I'm not exactly sure what is going on, but I do know what is weighing on my mind... I didn't think it warranted a tornado dream. Maybe I should be rethinking my strategies here.

 
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com
eXTReMe Tracker Blogarama - The Blog Directory