This one goes out to the ones I love. This one goes out to the ones I've left behind. A simple prop to occupy my time.

|

Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Valentine's Day at Stonehenge

Yesterday we took a fabulous trip out to Salisbury for the day and we managed to get up to Stonehenge, although Avebury was out of the question (too far to get to with the amount of time we had). My first impression was that it was smaller than I thought it would be, but up close it is quite fascinating. I never thought I could take so many pictures of the same circle of rocks but I have quite a few. None shall be deleted until I return home and assess which ones are unworthy. The guided tour, on a weird listening device that you hold to your ear, was also pretty cool. The site is also surrounded by burial mounds called barrows, which you can see on the surrounding hills. There is definitely some sort of vibe happening with the place but I don't know what it is. It's just a really cool place and I loved it. However, the down side was that it was the COLDEST day since I have been here. I am so glad that I had the foresight to pack a hat, gloves, and neck warmer. I wore every single item as well as my rain jacket which can sometimes act as a windbreaker, but didn't at the time. Therefore many of the photos that I will return with show Kelly, Susan, Erin and I dressed up like it's about -40 although there is no snow or any other evidence of coldness. It will look absolutely ridiculous I am sure.
After Stonehenge, we took the bus back into Salisbury and walked around the town eventually making our way to the cathedral which has the tallest spire in England and houses one of the four original copies of the Magna Carta left in existence. It was a beautiful church and I wish we had more time to hang out but we got pretty sick of the chill in the air and headed back to the train for our ride into London.

Today is the day where I am going to CRINGE at the amount of money that will be spent. We are all heading to The Ritz to have High Tea which is going to cost an obscene amount of money as well as require us to dress up like the posh people we all are deep down inside. I don't know why I am doing this all I know is taht I am intrigued and I shouldn't be because it's going to be utterly painful. Must not think about this...

Afterwards, I may catch one of those crazy bus tours that go around town on the double decker buses. Susan and Kelly have recommended a good one to me and I feel the need to at least see most of the major sites even if I don't get a chance to fully explore them. I am not sure if Erin will join me but I think that Susan probably needs some time to herself to have a nap and enjoy the space of her apartment without guests lolling about. Well, we don't loll per se but it's not a large place and there is only so much space for everyone to be in without tripping all over each other.

I have just read Jen's blog and see that she has indeed gone through with her haircut and it sounds like it's much shorter than expected. It probably looks really cool and stylish. However, do you ever notice that the hair always looks awesome the day of the haircut and after you wash it for the first time since the salon, that it gets increasingly harder to imitate that original arrangement? I always find that but then again it could just be due to laziness on my part.
In other good news, Jen has successfully bought us tickets to see the Killers in late April! I am so excited... I have been trying to see this band since last summer and somehow or other I was always in the wrong city at the wrong time to catch the tour. It's definitely something to look forward to after the horror of Comps.

 
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com
eXTReMe Tracker Blogarama - The Blog Directory