This one goes out to the ones I love. This one goes out to the ones I've left behind. A simple prop to occupy my time.

|

Sunday, July 10, 2005

I wish Every Day were like Sunday

A quick blog before bed. Don't you find the weekends go far too quickly? I feel like I never have any time for myself to even sit and think anymore.
Anyways, Anthrax Central was finished by noon on Friday, however, I am still going to be very vigilant for the next two weeks for symptoms. We have a sheet of symptoms to watch for, unfortunately it is the usual ambiguous stuff like: red bug bite-esque bump which later forms into a vesicle and then gets a black spot in the middle, cold like symptoms, breathing problems (HELLO? I live in Smog Central, I always have trouble breathing in July), etc. Unfortunately when you work outside, you get bug bites all the time, and dust and smog get kicked up and it's very pleasant all around. I could have anthrax and chalk it up to heat stroke or kidney problems. *Sigh*

The burials we had turned out to be rather bizarre -- mostly moms and tots, meaning we had two cow burials where there were babies in utero (babies basically were smushed under the ribs of the mother), I had an adult and baby sheep buried face to face, there was another baby sheep elsewhere which Steve had excavated pre-Anthrax protocol, and then there were three horses. It was just a bit bizarre to find so many mothers and babies buried together. There were also a few burials that had a nasty kind of death-like, fleshy smell to them when you got to the deepest level of bones. Something just wasn't right with that place and we are all glad to never be going back.

Tomorrow we are back at Trull, by Darlington (the Nuke Plant) off of Courtice Road. The Trull family were United Empire Loyalists who settled in Ontario in 1793 and owned a sweet lakefront property where we have previously excavated two homestead sites. Tomorrow we are one field further than we were last year (so we have to walk over 4 fields carrying all our stuff *ugh*) where the original house is supposed to be located, and apparently there is a woodlot where a barn is still extant, although I hear it's pretty well on the ground or part of it is tilted at a crazy angle. Unfortunately, we are doing test pits in the woodlot tomorrow, so we are moving from Anthrax risk to West Nile risk. I really miss the Ontario of my childhood when there was no smog and West Nile virus. The Ontario government really has to try and figure out a way to cut down on those coal-burning factories. We're dying here! If only those government suits had to work outside for a summer -- then they might realize that action has to be taken ASAP rather then sitting on their bloody laurels and debating it. Spend the time and money for god's sakes. It makes me want to rip my hair out. Anyways, back to happy thoughts... I'll let you know what goodies we find in the 1x1's. We're heading directly into excavation right after Stage 3 is done anyhow, so I'll be at J.C. Trull for a few weeks. If we find any good artifacts, I'll take some photos. My personal favourites are keys, bottles, and beads, which I seem to have a knack for finding.
Anyways, this is longer than necessary... I'll post again soon.

~D.~

 
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com
eXTReMe Tracker Blogarama - The Blog Directory