This one goes out to the ones I love. This one goes out to the ones I've left behind. A simple prop to occupy my time.

|

Sunday, December 11, 2005

Everything Looks Perfect from Far Away

My last day of work was Wednesday and since then I have had a 9 hour day of shopping with Gosh where I bought stuff mostly for myself, then another day where we went swimming and then went to see Memoirs of a Geisha (still in limited release) and had some $10 martinis in Yorkville. Yeah I know $10 is a lot for one martini, but it was the yummiest martini I ever drank. And this little cafe is open 24 hours, so I can see myself going back there at some point.
And finally, last night I went and saw Rent with my cousins and sister. So, my conclusion is that unemployment causes you to want to blow a lot of cash that you will be needing in the long run and you go to see a lot of movies.
I cannot believe how much tv I have been watching lately either. I just watched the entire first season of Veronica Mars in 2.5 days. Of course, as I progressed into the series I realized that I had watched about 10 episodes of the total 22 in the summer, not knowing if I had viewed them in order since time seemed to warp this past summer. Days blended together and I couldn't really focus on much.
I'm also currently working on the fourth season of Buffy, which I appreciate even more so this time around than when I originally viewed the series, and I adored it then. You can really see how much continuity there is of the storylines and characters from episode to episode or even from season to season. It's like Joss Whedon is the ultimate reference editor. He could make a killing editing theses because he could probably really easily point out tiny mistakes of continuity and help re-establish clarity of argument and progression. Maybe when I have to write a thesis I'll ask Joss Whedon to be my editor. That would just be amusing.
Anyways if you want to see either of the movies that I just saw, they are both great, although Memoirs of a Geisha is still an amazing book, and the movie is still only just good. I was annoyed that the actresses wore their hair down a lot (not in the Geisha hairstyle) and didn't really mention the importance of hairstyles or movements or how to pour tea, etc. There was also a weird little plot twist about World War II which was changed to involve Americans being entertained by the Geisha while negotiating business deals rather than having the Japanese trying to rebuild their country with other Japanese dignitaries. It was quite random and I have no doubt that Rob Marshall needed to get in some sort of positive reference to America that didn't involve dropping atomic bombs on Japan. I'm not sure he entirely succeeded in that. I probably shouldn't even get going on the abundance of Chinese accents in a film about Japanese culture, but I guess that's what you get when you cast Chinese actors. I guess if Arthur Golden was satisfied with the turnout of the movie than the rest of us just have to take it too.

 
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com
eXTReMe Tracker Blogarama - The Blog Directory