This one goes out to the ones I love. This one goes out to the ones I've left behind. A simple prop to occupy my time.

|

Friday, February 06, 2004

I do believe that today is going to be a bit of a rough day. On top of not actually trying to sleep until about 5:30am this morning, I kind of tossed and turned until about 11am. Hardly any sleep at all I know but I guess I did have that three hour nap yesterday... Something tells me naptime is in the cards again for today.
Currently it seems to be a balmy 7C and absolutely pouring rain. I haven't minded winter so far in Vancouver but the rain is certainly depressing and today it's probably going to hinder my grand plans of actually getting to school and doing research and hauling books back to the house. Hopefully I can muster the guts to do this because I must have a good research weekend before Reading Week.
March will be presentation after presentation. Upcoming topics are: Eleusis ( I guess everything I can talk about in an hour and a half), The Argive Heraion (), The Neocorate (which from what I can tell so far refers to the priesthood that maintained the Imperial cult temples in Asia Minor), and finally Pisidian Antioch ().
Yesterday I finally sat down with Dr. De Angelis after class and we figured out a suitable research project for GREK 535 and I will be studying the development of the settlement at Ancient Syracuse so that is another topic to add to the list and start accumulating material for. It's amusing to find that at Laurier I took five full courses and was just fine with handing things in but here at UBC I only have to take 3 per term and I feel like I have tons more work. Where is the justice?

Well Elaine has taken off for rainy Seattle for a few days so I have the house to myself. I have already done a bit of cleaning and I think it's probably time to sit her down when she comes back and talk about cleaning again. It is really unacceptable that just because we are both busy that we cannot find some of our spare time to live in a decently clean apartment. I know for instance that she constantly talks to friends on the internet and watches movies on her computer so she is not all work and no play (but oddly enough she never really seems to go out on weekends). I won't clean up after her so this just delays everything. I think we need to have a concrete schedule on the fridge or something because I do want my remaining weeks here to be pleasant.

That brings to mind the problem of where the hell I am going to live next year. We briefly chatted the night before she left for Seattle (Wednesday) about the summer and I said that if possible I want to avoid paying rent this summer because I definitely hope to have a job at home and she seems to be of the same mind (not paying rent here if she has a chance to work elsewhere). We will have to talk to Mary about this but Elaine doesn't realize that I was planning to give my notice that I was moving out. Perhaps somehow I can work it out that if we both move out then I will tell her that I am not planning to move in again in September and behind her back I can swing a deal with Mary to have the apartment to myself next year. It's sneaky and mean and I don't want to do it but Elaine is the cheapest roommate that I have ever had and I know that she has some money about her. I just have my issues with the way some of our bill payments have come up and such. Anyhow if I can get the apartment just for me that leaves open the possibility for Dave moving in. I know I can afford the rent on my own if I budget right and I definitely would prefer it since I rejoice every time Elaine walks out the door for more than 2 hours. Dilemmas dilemmas...
Am I an awful person to be this sneaky? I suppose to the average person who hasn't heard some of the horror stories of living here you would say 'yes' but I have lived with many people and would like to think that I have some bit of patience but the end of my rope is fast approaching and the scene could get nasty if the status quo doesn't change.
Whatever happens, I will just have to hope that things work out for the best. I generally like Kerrisdale because it has all the services I need and a few more and the neighbourhood is very nice as is Mary our landlord. Anyways, I need to get off this topic. It in some form pops up every day and at the moment I have not had enough sleep to coherently make any conclusions.
I think I am going to experiment with some more editing... until later... ~D.~

 
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com
eXTReMe Tracker Blogarama - The Blog Directory