This one goes out to the ones I love. This one goes out to the ones I've left behind. A simple prop to occupy my time.

|

Saturday, July 01, 2006

Canada Day #139

Happy birthday, Canada! You're 139 years young, sort of. The dominion is anyway.
Can you believe it's July 1st, again, already even? This year is flying by much too quickly. At times that makes me happy but other times it makes me kind of nauseous.
School is coming much too quickly, the long days of summer I longed for all winter are now past their halfway point and I am mad at myself for not getting more of the shit I want to do, done.
Most days, my crew is out in Brampton digging a slew of Irish homesteads. Currently we're at a farm investigating the first log cabin from 1837, built by Irish settlers, famine dodgers I believe. The family that is on the farm currently is only the second family to own the property since it was granted by the Crown to the original Irish family in the 1830s. Alas, they too have been bought out after five generations and they are taking their farm operation north of Barrie, probably pocketing a nice chunk of change in the process. In the past week, we've watched many of their outbuildings be dismantled and then on Thursday we watched the 150 year old barn get pulled down. It's kind of heartbreaking to watch it all happen, and I'm not even remotely attached to these people or their farm. I just think it must be extremely hard to leave a place that your family has owned for over 125 years. However, I can only assume that they've been approached for years by developers and the last offer was the one they couldn't refuse. I guess that's life, and the continuing crawl of suburbanization calling.

On a completely unrelated note, wasn't England's loss to Portugal kind of heartbreaking today? I haven't really liked Portugal's team since their ridiculous antics against the Netherlands last week. I feel that England put up a damn good fight today with only 10 players, no Beckham, and no Rooney (aka Shrek, as Jen once told me the British press have likened him to).
Thank god Hargreaves scored on his penalty goal, albeit just barely. I sent him goodwill Canadian thoughts, it being Canada Day after all. Maybe the Brits will lighten up a bit on him. He did try to set up some good shots, which other players couldn't complete. I guess in the end, it just wasn't enough. It's just not been a good tournament for England overall.

And one last thought, or plea really. Please don't listen to that awful Paris Hilton song "Stars are Blind". Even if you can justify that it may have a good summery reggae beat, even that happens to be played on repetition throughout the entire song because apparently she cannot sing/breathe heavily (or whatever noise that is coming out of her mouth) above a certain note (not even an octave!). Not to mention the lyrics are stunningly awful. The first and ONLY time I dared listen to it on the radio, the DJ was stunned speechless after he aired it. He literally had nothing to say, and so wisely chose not to say anything. Yes, it is THAT GOOD. Please don't give more over-exposure to the twig called Paris Hilton. It's just wrong.

 
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com
eXTReMe Tracker Blogarama - The Blog Directory