This one goes out to the ones I love. This one goes out to the ones I've left behind. A simple prop to occupy my time.

|

Monday, June 12, 2006

Suspicion

Suspicion, haunting the streets of time
Suspicion, boy they really got us this time
Suspicion, shame on the things we did
Suspicion, get used to it kid
~Ryan Adams ~ "Suspicion"~

Grim reality. I have been tossing and turning at night for months because I know the "salary" at my job* doesn't really sustain a living, let alone any really serious loan repayment or school savings. If I didn't live with my parents I'd be out on the street somewhere, or working at some sort of part time job at a grocery store or Shopper's Drug Mart, which at this point kind of looks desirable for the reasonably high starting wages and the employee discounts.
Why would I choose to live this way? Because this job is a way to get to the means of what I love doing. I spent a lot of time being unhappy before I found something I loved, but I can't deny that in a way this situation is killing me, or at least my spirit.
There is no way I will be able to pay for school in September without again receiving massive loans from the bank or my parents or winning the lottery. I am so stressed out about this, I think I might be feeling 10 years older than I am, maybe even 20 years.
So I've got some student debt on me right now, who doesn't really? But the question is, can I sustain monthly interest payments while away at school presumably not really working in the traditional sense because I will be 'working' per se at schoolwork?
I just don't know that I can do this... but on the other hand I just don't know that I can't do this. Do I have the courage to get really tied in tight with the bank or my parents or to get this degree and then never get a tenure track position or a decently paid job in order to pay back the massive loads of money I've spent?
I'm scared and I don't know much about anything right now. I'm just freaked right out and stuck in this Catch-22. One thing is for sure, if I get that PhD I can't settle in at the job I am currently doing right now. It's too poorly paid and frankly doesn't leave much time for a second job because it's quite exhausting and consumes your life.
Speaking of which, do I even get to have a personal life outside of academia and loan repayment?
So here's a revelation I've been holding at bay: Holy fuck, I'm 25, wasting my life away with two useless degrees, about to embark on a third. Perhaps I should have gone to law school.

Oh and on a final note, I'd like to thank the officials at customs for being assholes last night. I had a great time in lockdown being berated. You definitely should have seized my car for the undervalued underwear I declared. Oh and one more thing, you are mathematically challenged since you didn't total my receipts correctly, therefore charging me too much fucking tax.

*I highlight said job because I am technically not classified as a full time employee even though I have dedicated the past year to the company and a summer before that.

 
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com
eXTReMe Tracker Blogarama - The Blog Directory