This one goes out to the ones I love. This one goes out to the ones I've left behind. A simple prop to occupy my time.

|

Sunday, February 08, 2004

So I finally broked down and had a talk with Mary today to tell her that I won't be staying in the summer and that I am having problems with Elaine as a roommate. Obviously she cannot kick Elaine out for not cleaning our house and I realize this but I just felt that I had to make her aware of the way I was feeling and what was going on. She was concerned that Elaine has crammed her personal heater between her bed and dresser so at some point when Elaine returns I will have to mention to her the fact that it is a major fire hazard and she will have to move it. I don't know why she has done that since the instructions on the side of it clearly state that it should not be within three feet of any furniture... but Elaine seems to be completely oblivious to reality sometimes. Anyways I have no idea if Elaine is staying here in the summer but I am definitely leaving and if she does not have a new roommate she has to pay the whole rent on her own. It's shitty but I want to avoid paying rent in the summer if possible (especially since I have to pay tuition.. grr) and I hope to get a job in Ontario. I have no allegiance to Elaine since she and I are not friends and we have had our issues over money and paying our fair share of the bills before but I don't really want to get into that. I know Elaine can afford things that she says she cannot (judging by the food she buys, the fact that she doesn't have to pay tuition and her family background amongst other things). I find that really unbearable since all students are in the same boat in terms of some financial burden and she seems to think that she should only pay certain parts of things. OK I am not going into that further because I feel anger welling up again. I DO NOT WANT TO BE ANGRY IN MY OWN HOME. So to continue with my story, Mary let me know that most students leave in April and she usually rents to random kids from Ontario who come out to work in BC for the summer and then in September its back to students. I let her know that I would be interested in having the house in September again if Elaine was not going to stay. It would either be me on my own or with a roommate of my choice (hopefully Dave). I think it's fair that if Elaine moves out in the summer that the house is really up for grabs for anyone in September although I know the right thing would be to let her have it since she found it and all. I hope that I didn't put Mary in a spot but since there is nothing she can do I sincerely doubt it. I mean the only problem would be if I found a new place to live and moved out before the end of the school year. But since our lease is month to month and you only have to give a month's notice, it is pretty easy to leave. The only person I would be screwing is Elaine... and sometimes I wonder if that wouldn't be such a bad thing.

On the school work front I haven't done as much as I had planned for this weekend yet. I really want to get a lot of research and photocopying for projects out of the way before Reading Week. I leave on Thursday after class which ends at noon. I have to hightail it home ASAP and get a cab immediately for the airport because my flight leaves at 2:15pm. I am assuming that most people aren't flying east for reading week and that they will not be leaving on a Thursday *cross your fingers*. I know that I won't get to do all the things I want over Reading Week as I couldn't even do all the things I wanted to do at Christmas and I was home for about 5 weeks. I will definitely be hanging with Dave a lot but I also have to do some schoolwork and make some time to head down to U of T to find some resources that UBC doesn't have and probably won't get due to the terrible state of the Inter-Library Loan department. I am amazed at how slow they are but another student in my department has informed a few of us that Library lay-offs were made to Reference staff... absolutely unacceptable for any student! It's so frustrating. In many ways I miss Laurier because they just seemed so much more efficient even though there were limitations due to the size of the school and the amount of funding it received. For all the money that UBC has it seems to bypass any Arts department and go right into science. Another beef of mine is that there is no joint library system with Simon Fraser University which would really be an asset as they have some books that surprisingly we do not. Argh... administration and politics, they only get more complicated the deeper into education you step.
I guess I should go back to work... or return the movies I rented. I have watched Thirteen and The Good Thief this weekend. Perhaps I will come home with another movie... ? :D At this point I just want to stop doing work or even thinking about it and just vegetate until Thursday but then I really would be screwing myself. One thing I can decide on is that I want another glass of iced tea...

P.S. Dave... I hope you come back soon from Tummon's cottage... the last 34 hours have been unbearable without you to talk to.

 
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com
eXTReMe Tracker Blogarama - The Blog Directory