This one goes out to the ones I love. This one goes out to the ones I've left behind. A simple prop to occupy my time.

|

Sunday, August 07, 2005

Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now

I can't believe it's almost the end of summer. It feels like August snuck up on me and that time really shouldn't be at this point, but here it is again. It's an odd feeling knowing that in a few weeks I won't be packing up my stuff and heading out west to school again. This is the first year of my life where I haven't packed off in September for school. I am a bit nervous by it all because I would prefer to not delay returning to school; I will just be finishing by the time I am 30 and that seems like a world away. Although, just a few short years ago, I couldn't imagine what I would be doing with myself at 24 either and here I am, doing just fine.
Earlier this week I sort of mentioned the Air France crash that took place at Pearson International Airport which is Toronto's major airport. It was an amazing story because everyone survived and it was a textbook example of why and how a flight crew is trained to save your civilian ass if such an emergency should arise. Well, Saturday's Toronto Star had a lead story about a lawsuit that is now being launched by one of the survivors for $75 million and it looks like every other passenger is going to jump on the bandwagon. Almost everyone imaginable is named in the lawsuit from Air France to the Greater Toronto Airport Authority and Airbus. I personally think it is the most disgusting thing that I have heard of (in recent days). Apparently these people don't realize that they could be six feet under at this very moment, not recognizing that if there had to be a crash at all, this is the way that it should turn out, with all safe and sound. I was discussing the issue with someone from India whom I was playing backgammon with today on the internet (Yes I know I am a geek, but I am addicted to backgammon). He told me he is a lawyer and brought forth this comment: "Who are they suing? God? For creating bad weather?" I had to laugh, because that is the perspective that I believe most sensible people have about this tragedy. I know a lot of things went wrong last Tuesday, but it just angers me to think of such a hideous counteraction. The latest reports that are coming from the investigative team assembled to study the crash say that the plane was in perfect working order and it doesn't appear to be human error. In fact, it seems that at about the time the plane was landing a freak of nature 60 km/h gust of wind arose in the area, but they need to figure out if that is the specific cause of the bounce which led the plane to drop further down the runway than it should have and subsequently off of the runway. I guess I will just have to stay tuned as more details emerge. Anyway, back to the original rant, I can only hope that this WASTE OF TIME lawsuit is heard before a judge who sees capitalistic motives and general thanklessness and throws it out of court promptly. It amazes me that these people can waste energy on such idiocy when they should be embracing life.

 
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com
eXTReMe Tracker Blogarama - The Blog Directory