This one goes out to the ones I love. This one goes out to the ones I've left behind. A simple prop to occupy my time.

|

Saturday, November 05, 2005

Remember, Remember the 5th of November

Remember, remember the fifth of November
Gun powder, treason and plot.
I see no reason why gunpowder and treason
Should ever be forgot.

Guy Fawkes, 'twas his intent
To blow up king and parliament.
Three score barrels were laid below
To prove old England's overthrow.

By God's mercy, he was catched
With a dark lantern and lighted match.
Holler boys, holler boys, let the bells ring
Holler boys, holler boys, long live the King.



York, England - Birthplace of Guy Fawkes Posted by Picasa

One of the things that I really appreciate about England is that every place you go there is some sort of weird historical fact associated with it. Today, I thought I would post this although I've never celebrated Guy Fawkes day. I do know that it involves burning a scarecrow type effigy on a fire and when I was younger I used to think it was kind of like England's version of Halloween, mainly because of it's proximity in date to North American Halloween and the fact that you burn a scarecrow, which is kind of creepy. As well, apparently young children can go around collecting pennies if they show you the doll they've created to burn. Which is sort of like collecting candy but way more lucrative. Maybe the children spend their collected money on candy, unless they are forced to donate to UNICEF by their parents.
Anyways, as an adult I know much better and could tell you that Guy Fawkes day is celebrated as a reminder of the treasonous lunatic who was going to try and blow up the Parliament buildings in London in 1605. So doing some quick math, I guess this year there is a super big bonfire since it is the 400th anniversary. This was also a good opportunity for me to post the above photo of the sign at his birthplace in York, which I randomly saw when I was in York in February. Yay for happenstance!

 
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com
eXTReMe Tracker Blogarama - The Blog Directory