This one goes out to the ones I love. This one goes out to the ones I've left behind. A simple prop to occupy my time.

|

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Career Change?

I think I need to change my career prospects. I should learn poker and obviously become a professional poker player. It's gotta be more productive than this Archaeology thing.

Work is a mess lately. My crew finished all the work we had scheduled and Katie, Wes, and Aaron have retreated into the depths of cataloguing artifacts while Steve and I are shunted around from crew to crew. Apparently, we will be working for the Survey crew for the rest of the season even if the Historic crew gets more work. I want to scream! Survey isn't half bad but I would prefer to dig the Historic stuff than walk fields 1 day a week and spend the rest of my time at the Mantle site recording post moulds and digging small features. I also find it harder to get along with this crew... they are definitely cliquey.

There was one cool find that Steve and I had last week. We dug out a post which had a whole pot at the bottom. It was finally taken out of the pit today (we had no camera to document it last week, so it was left in the ground) and it is actually the prettiest prehistoric artifact I have ever seen. It even has a little handle, so I guess it's some sort of juglet.

In the past few weeks I have also been getting around to some plays at Stratford (The Tempest --- AMAZING; and Into the Woods --- could have done without), a few concerts (U2 --- Bono was way too fucking preachy which made me glad I didn't pay for my tickets; and Athlete -- very awesome small show that I enjoyed very much), and even a Leafs preseason game versus Boston last Tuesday. That was a great night because the game was at Copps Coliseum in Hamilton (therefore it was super cheap) and I went with my dad and sister. The Leafs slaughtered the Bruins 5-0 and we even got to see a test run of the new shoot out policy that will be employed if games are tied. It's an interesting concept. I realized how much I enjoy live hockey and how bitter I am that I will never be able to afford decent seats at the ACC. Too many corporate types in Toronto have their greedy little paws on season's tickets in the best seats, but half the time they just bring their clients to games to do business. Bloody annoying!

I've also sold out and signed myself up for a cell phone again. I surprised even myself by going with Telus, a corporation I loathe, but I just couldn't bring myself to go with Rogers Wireless which was my previous provider. All monopolies suck... even though they (Rogers and Telus) are competition, you are equally drawn into the circle of capitalistic evil. One is no better than the other.
A cellphone just seems to be more and more a necessity because I always want to call people when I am stuck in traffic and late for events or even late at night after going out, I can never seem to find a payphone anywhere to call a cab, if I even have a quarter in my pocket to use at that point.

The only bright spot lately has been the fact that Newcastle has agreed to defer my program start date until next September. Between now and then I will be frantically trying to make money to repay my line of credit (which I will instantly use up again) and apply to many different scholarships because I have no doubt that I am going to need a truckload of money to complete my studies. It's grim indeed.
Anyways, I must keep positive... work is killing my spirit, but I think I can make it through the fall and I guess I will have to start looking for a new job in the winter. If anyone knows of anything I may be qualified to do, let me know.

 
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com
eXTReMe Tracker Blogarama - The Blog Directory