This one goes out to the ones I love. This one goes out to the ones I've left behind. A simple prop to occupy my time.

|

Friday, March 17, 2006

St. Patrick - Patron Saint of Ireland... and Nigeria

Someone told me today that St. Patrick, being the patron saint of Ireland is also the patron saint of Nigeria. I confirmed this fact through Wikipedia, but kept in mind that someone could easily have made that up and posted it -- that being both a blessing and a curse for Wikipedia.
The entry does interestingly note that Nigeria was primarily evangelized by Irish missionaries so I guess St. Patrick still only managed to run snakes out of one nation and was only adopted by the other.
I had a beer at lunch and to be honest I am about ready to put my head down on this keyboard and pass out. I felt ridiculously tired yet energetic this morning and just before lunch, my head was starting to ache. I have no doubt that the beer has only helped remedy these symptoms, don't you?

Yesterday was finally my day for field work. The day was sunny and somewhat mild for March although I was wearing long underwear which did a wonderful job of keeping me warm and the wind did pick up a bit in the afternoon. The field was a big muddy slip and slide which made the surface collection a little challenging at times, but it got done. We also determined that the ground is still frozen, as if logic hadn't told us this beforehand... we had to through a shovel in it for the sake of saying we attempted to dig rather than actually digging in such conditions. No one should have to do ACTUAL fieldwork in March, but I suppose the client is a bit antsy. Actually it made me feel sick when I heard what was being built on our site... I'll give you a few clues.
1.) It is the subject of a recent documentary that circulated through screenings held in private homes and then having the copy of the movie passed on to someone else.
2.) It is the bane of rural and suburban North America
3.) It has a snivelling smiley face logo
4.) It is an E-V-I-L empire of discount
....
....
....
If you guessed Walmart, then you would be correct. The only way I could comfort myself was to laugh at the unfortunate view that the tenants of the brand new condos north of the site will have when Walmart is occupying their scenic panorama of parking lot, tractor trailers, and the sparkling Sea of Pavement.
As if the world needs another fucking Walmart.

 
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com
eXTReMe Tracker Blogarama - The Blog Directory