This one goes out to the ones I love. This one goes out to the ones I've left behind. A simple prop to occupy my time.

|

Sunday, April 02, 2006

Now More Than Ever

I wish I had had the energy to write more this week but I spent four of five work days out in the "Walmart field" digging difficult test units. Let's just say it felt like a brutal re-introduction to field work even though I have spent the winter at the gym, swimming and lifting weights. More than anything I think being outside in fresh air all day is what got me so tired in the end - I was going to bed at about 9:30pm every night. I conclude that breathing recycled office air all winter is not healthy.
It was weird to be outside working this week because it was still March and the temperatures were so warm. I actually sunburnt my face on Tuesday. Obviously I have never considered getting a sunburn in March in Ontario, so I am paying for that right now. Remember the sunblock people, remember the sunblock.
It's hard to get used to the new crew right now because with K. we had an established system over the last two years... now it's different. I'll get used to it but I guess I have to work through my growing pains; everyone else seems to be ok. Maybe it's just me that's out of the loop.
In geek news, I ducked out of work early on Wednesday to catch an AIA lecture in Hamilton given by Dr. Penelope Davies who wrote a great book on imperial funerary monuments in Rome. I read it a lot last year when doing my papers for my Topography of Rome class. She gave an interesting talk on the continued use of Nero's imperial property (i.e. the Domus Aurea et al) after his death. Actually it seemed more like she was developing a new thesis and challenging established, out-dated beliefs, which is always interesting to witness, participate in, etc. There really haven't been many AIA talks in southern Ontario (there are at least 4 chapters I can drive to easily) that I've been interested in sitting through this year so I haven't gotten a really good dose of classical history and archaeology since I left school. I have to take more initiative and keep up on my reading and ask friends still in school what's on their reading lists.

Last night I went to see the musical 'Hair' (a CanStage production) with Gosh and it was excellent -- I was concerned it might be lacklustre. I had looked up the premise of the story beforehand because I have never seen the film but Gosh always raves about it and says it was seminal in her personal growth from the age of 14 when she first saw it. Anyways, it was an excellent production and the closing scene of "The 40-Year Old Virgin" made so much more sense after seeing the 'Aquarius' and 'Let the Sunshine In' numbers. Afterwards we went out to eat a late dinner and I got some sort of allergic reaction on my chest... since I have no known food allergies this was weird. However, the excessive amounts of alcohol that I drank at Republik night club seemed to clear it right up. How curious. All in all it was a very full Saturday considering Gosh and I also spent 4 hours in the afternoon shopping at the One of a Kind show at Exhibition Place. If I made more money I would have been dropping it like crazy on some of the stuff I saw there but as it was I settled on a spring jacket that will be getting it's fair share of wear this year. Watch out for it...

 
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com
eXTReMe Tracker Blogarama - The Blog Directory