This one goes out to the ones I love. This one goes out to the ones I've left behind. A simple prop to occupy my time.

|

Friday, February 25, 2005

Reality Bites

I am back on Terra Firma after more than 12 hours of travel. The plane was more than an hour late in departure but still managed to get into Vancouver 25 minutes early. That I find impressive, but I suppose a good tail wind always helps too.
The plane followed the same route that we took on the way out except this time there was much more of a view since it wasn't dark outside. The views of Iceland and Greenland were absolutely amazing and we saw lots of broken ice on the water as well as some massive icebergs. It was definitely a treat. If I had been smarter I would have packed my camera near the top of my backpack, but it was firmly wedged in the middle and the batteries had been taken out. It was also quite heavy and stowed overhead and I didn't feel like disturbing my neighbour, again. So alas, no pictures.*
The flight was not as uneventful as most. Some woman who was participating in a contest from a radio station called the Mercury in London was dressed up as a bride and competing against another woman (not on our plane) for an all expenses paid wedding. As such, she was dressed up in the most hideous bridal gown ever, but I have no idea why she had to fly to Vancouver. It must be part of the contest because she was accompanied by one of the radio station dj's. Anyways, it was amusing to watch her parade around the airport in this gown and some pink devil's horns.
In keeping with the wedding theme, another man managed to scam the pilot into playing on the television system a taped proposal to his girlfriend. They were sitting up in first class so I couldn't see him in action but I gather from the applause that she accepted. I hope he gave her a big fat diamond but since we were flying a discount airline, that may not necessarily be the case.

I am now pleased to inform everyone that I have finally blown the rest of the black stuff out of my nose. And no I was not ill, it's just a result of the super clean air I was breathing in for the past two weeks. It makes me very glad that Canada has yet to degenerate to that level of pollution. It was very alarming the first time I saw it though, it made me feel as though I had been digging in the fields again. Not very cool at all.

Well I suppose the big news yesterday is that Canada has opted out of the US Missile Defense program. I am kind of relieved but at the same time I am very disturbed by American reaction, as well as the future consequences in regards to government spending. As everyone knows, Canada is not by and large a nation that has a super military or even a good national defense program. We kind of sail by on the protection of the U.S. or NORAD and in general the good will of other nations towards our kind-hearted selves. However, it looks as though the government is now going to have to begin investing much more heavily in national protection. And judging by the American reaction that we have 'relinquished our sovereignty' it looks as though they are a mite pissed off and now want to teach us a lesson the first chance they get. Honestly, if any nation decides not to follow US protocol they get their knickers in a tight twist. Why must others always be giving up their 'sovereignty'? Personally, it's bullshit and I am sick of American pressure on Canada. It's really too bad we share a continent, but maybe this is why we are the nation situated here and not say, China? At least our gut reaction isn't to nuke anybody. Anyways, read yesterday's bit and today's reactions to yesterday's verbal diarrhea.
I am checking outta here for a while. I have some errands to run: student loans to pick up, birthday gifts to send out, bills to pay, all that mundane stuff I abandoned 2 weeks ago. On the bright side, I was pretty happy this morning when I found out that all my Interlibrary Loans hadn't been sent back yet... that's sort of a plus.



*NOTE TO JEN: keep your camera ready on the way home and if your camera sucks than buy a disposable... I want some pictures of Greenland!

 
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com
eXTReMe Tracker Blogarama - The Blog Directory