This one goes out to the ones I love. This one goes out to the ones I've left behind. A simple prop to occupy my time.

|

Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Lessien Anwamanë

Today I decided to figure out my elvish name which you see posted above as this post title. I have no idea how you would say that, but I think it has some potential to be cooler than Denise.
Definitions of names are a funny thing. If you look them up it is ridiculous how many names come from antiquity or the bible. Are we so unoriginal that names keep getting recycled or rearranged into new formats? I guess unoriginal is a bad term but you know what I mean. I just think it's funny that my name for instance in its root form is a derivative from the Greek god Dionysus who is a patron of the theatre, drinking, bad behaviour that results from drinking, and so on. I would say that at moments I have embodied a lot of these qualities, but really who doesn't these days? Should everyone be named 'Denise' because of that? I hope not!

In my department at school, most people have names relating to Greek or Roman names... is it odd that we have all come back to studying those civilizations that formed so much of our current world? Were we almost called to it in a way?
Some people put a lot of meaning into the name you were assigned, like you were destined to have it and that it will exude some sort of power over your personality and path in life. I am not so sure what to think about this. I have seen names broken down into numbers, and birth dates added up, recalculated, and allegedly deciphered, but what do all these 'mystical' calculations really mean?
In high school I was really into reading up on all this stuff and I liked to read tarot cards, read up on why my birthday was so symbolic to my life, and all this random information. I don't know where it got me... In fact, looking back, a lot of that stuff was hard to figure out my own, not being a math genius and all. I still cannot read biorhythm charts, not that they have ever helped me in the least.
All I know is that my favourite number is 9, I was born at an hour of the day which indicates I should have psychic abilities (but I don't -- although I have some dreams occasionally which are a bit eerie), and I am drawn to a historical past that I was born about 2'000 years too late to fully understand. Was I destined to be a classical archaeologist? I think so and that is all that matters.

Back to the start. If you want to figure out your Elvish Name than travel HERE.
You can also check your hobbit name. Tolkien would be so proud! Mine is Camellia Broadbelt of Buckland. I think it indicates that I am fat or something.

 
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com
eXTReMe Tracker Blogarama - The Blog Directory