This one goes out to the ones I love. This one goes out to the ones I've left behind. A simple prop to occupy my time.

|

Saturday, April 02, 2005

Archaeology for the Masses

Well, it appears that today was a success. Amy, Julia, Mel, and I went down to a public school in Richmond to talk to 4 classes of grade 6's and 7's about archaeology and we seem to have been a hit. The kids were enthusiastic -- probably because it was a Friday afternoon and they didn't have to do work -- and it was just awesome. It was probably the most fun I have had with kids since I worked at Ekon way back in the day. Makes me wonder if I should consider teaching at some point, but I should tap out all possibilities in Archaeology before conceding to that thought. Though it's nice to know that it would be fun and worthwhile, at least in my mind. Anyways, I think I will tell Hector that if the school asks for students to come and speak again at that school, that it is definitely worthwhile.

Meanwhile, in a completely different spectrum, Mel and I stopped by the giant liquor store at Cambie and 41st today and sampled a beer called Thirsty Beaver by a company named Tree Brewing from Kelowna. And yes, we had to heckle the guy who was promoting the stuff... It wasn't that bad a beer but they had a few different brews which tasted better. The Honey Pilsner is worth looking into for sure, and I am not someone who likes drinking beer a lot.

And now for a third topic which is wildly different from the last two... PJP II.
I am finding it very upsetting to watch the news on his declining health, with newscasts basically being conducted as a death vigil. I've done this death wait before and it is awful. Your mind races to prepare for the consequences stemming from a tiny moment in time, and really, no matter how far you can project how the events might unfold, you know that you are being shuttled into the great unknown. A very eerie, supernatural, and unnatural part of your life is about to begin. Almost what I would imagine is like being blind and left without a guide.

I was lucky enough to be able to see the Pope twice in my life, the most recent time being in 2002 at the World Youth Day mass in Toronto. There is something about that man that is electric and even the person who accompanied me to the mass (who was not a Catholic) felt totally awestruck by his presence. A lot of people in this world feel that his views are wrong for whatever reasons and even I have felt at odds with some of his church doctrines, but as a person he is extraordinary and I cannot help but feel grief for him. I feel that he is like a part of my family, and in a sense I guess that is what the Church community represents. The most troubling issue in my mind at the moment is imagining a Catholic faith without this person. I am too young to have known a Church leader other than him and I am not sure that anyone could fill such shoes with such integrity. From what is being reported today, he is the most memorable Pope that Church has ever had and possibly may ever have. He is certainly the longest reigning Pope and has seen the world and the Church change, while struggling to keep it the same. I admit that I cannot make sense of the many contradictions of his personality and judgements for church laws, but when it comes down to it, he is just a man, and I feel that he deserves to die in peace, just as we all do.

 
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com
eXTReMe Tracker Blogarama - The Blog Directory